The house dates back to the 1600’s. It was the farm house to the Manor hence its original name of Manor Farm. This was changed when the house was renovated to reflect it's position next to the Whitelady Waterfall in Lydford Gorge.
At the beginning of the 19th Century the Gorge became a replacement for the Grand Tour of Continental Europe, very much valued and appreciated for its grandeur and beauty. The house was enlarged to double its size as a direct result of it's popularity as a tourist attraction.
Later during the Victorian era the train arrived and sightseers from Plymouth and Exeter came to view the falls and disembarked in the garden of Manor Farm and it was the income from the visitors that lead to the expansion of the house. Today the railway has long gone but the area makes a great croquet lawn!
Our neighbours are now the National Trust who own the gorge (the deepest in the South West) stretching a distance of about 2.5 km from the spectacular "Devil’s Cauldron" whirlpool at the top to the magical site of the 30-metres-tall "White Lady Waterfall" at our end. A visit to the gorge is a great way to spend an afternoon, but do bring sturdy walking shoes!